20191209

Day 1,921

I heard we used to tattoo just our skin, barely scraping a few dermal layers if you can believe it. Makes more sense now to tattoo right into the bone - makes it easier to ID someone when you can check their leftovers against the database.

Of course we all wish we'd never have to visit the morgue once a week to try and verify fragmented bodies who don't match any missing persons but at least most were verified by the end of the month. Shame about the rest but at the end of the day we'd all rather live on than risk our lives for the dead.

I found my Aunt Mara's skull in the glowing belly of an Astorfen and you don't see me trying to kill the damned thing to bring her bones back home. There'd be no point in even trying. What chance do I, a 5'5 piece of nothing, stand against an 11' behemoth of a creature who sees me as little more than a light meal?

I'd join Aunt Mara before I could gather the breath to scream for help that'd be too sensible to bother coming to my aid and then we'd be down yet another hand. Slowly dissolving in the translucent belly of an Astorfen doesn't really appeal to me, but then again I've always been a bit fussy.

No comments:

Post a Comment