20200101

Day 1,943

Poor dear's been dead nearly forty now, doesn't bother us much but she still likes to be included.

He said those words so cheerfully, like he was talking about a visiting grandchild and not the semi-aware ghost of the woman who was murdered in his apartment by her own children. Apparently everyone in the building knew Henrietta and had either seen or spoken to her at some point.

I'd only been living there for three days when she decided to pay me a visit. Nothing can prepare you for the sight of a full-body apparition floating towards you and hurling insults that were far too modern for her otherwise Victorianesque attire. Now I know it was because I didn't spot her soon enough to say hello- she hates being ignored.

She'd be easier to spot if she didn't have such a penchant for hiding in the walls with only her eyes and nose poking out. She's just so easy to miss sometimes and it infuriates everyone who has the misfortune of accidentally stirring her into a rage. The long-term residents always manage to greet her before she blows a fuse but us newer lot aren't so lucky.

From what everyone else has said, most ghosts are always a hair's breadth away from going full poltergeist and Henrietta was getting awfully fond of breaking plates. I planned to move out as soon as I could, to one of those newer places where nobody's killed or been killed, but fate had other plans for me.

And when I say 'fate' mean Henrietta likes my company and has threatened to skin me if I try to move out or if I ignore her for too long or if I'm showering and I don't speak to her the second she asks me something. Honestly I'm starting to see why her children killed her.

No comments:

Post a Comment