20200119

Day 1,961

My old apartment was on the 103rd floor in a building that should have been torn down a good thirty odd years ago. Unfortunately the architect was a bit famous in our country so the city felt obliged to keep it up for as long as possible.

Now I didn't used to mind it, not with the dirt cheap rent and fairly decent living conditions. There was one thing that bothered me though - a rule they had for all tenants and, if broken, meant instant eviction.

All 133 floors were forbidden from looking out of the windows after 10pm for no given reason. Of course being the curious young idiot I was, I had to look and see what they were trying to hide from us.

I wish I hadn't. I really wish I had done anything else but look but I did. In fact I spent weeks preparing for it - buying blackout sheets and checking for hidden cameras and waiting for a night with a full moon. 

Yesterday was that time. Yesterday I hung the sheets up and waited for 10pm and I stared down at the city as every single light switched from white to green. Every building but ours. 

Then the shadows started to fall off the walls and pool all over the ground until there was nothing but an inky ocean as far as the eyes could see. And if that wasn't bad enough - it started to whisper. 

It knows I saw it and it told me it'd be back again tonight.

It knows everything about me and my family. 

It knows where to find them and it probably has by now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment