20200122

Day 1,965

There've been rumours of a secret room in the aquarium for as long as I can remember and if I hadn't seen them moving the creature into its new home, I wouldn't have known that everyone needed to evacuate. Me and my friends saved the lives of an entire town and none of them will ever know.

They probably won't find my body either. I had to use it to distract the creature long enough for my friends to trigger the flood sirens and mess with the phone lines so everyone wouldn't know what else to do but leave for the closest point of safety.

It would have learnt to walk sooner or later and we crippled it before it had the chance. Seemed a safer thing to do than let it rampage through the town, eating anything that moved right. By the time we'd broken into the aquarium most of the staff were already dead and its fins were starting to look like fingers.

Thank fuck it still had gills and thank fuck I managed to crack the glass when I jumped into the tank so that when it swung around to bite me, its tail collided with enough force to smash straight through it. I don't remember much from the next few minutes, aside from the pain and the screams of my friends who were crushed by the falling glass.

Doesn't matter that they'll never know what we did or that we'll never be found.

Doesn't matter that our souls are all stuck in the same room as the creature for all eternity.

The aquarium will get shut down sooner or later and when it all falls to ruin we'll all leave.

Until then we're left waiting in a locked room full of rotting meat, broken glass and stagnant water.

No comments:

Post a Comment