20200218

Day 1,991

You want to know what the worst thing about a ghost is?

They can't be killed - they have to choose to die and what damned being actually wants to die?

Not them.


It's my job to kill them and in my fifty-something years I've not even managed to put a dent in one. I just persuade them to leave and offer them better and brighter haunting grounds. Not that my clients know, of course. In their eyes I'm a saint sent by the church to banish evil spirits and free them from their perceived sins and hidden crimes.


Did you know most ghosts are actually the remnants of intense emotions like anger, lust or fear?


I've lost count of all the times a man has asked me to rid his home of some cursed object or poltergeist and I find he's lost three children by beating them to death and his wife's grief won't let them move on or their fear rots away at their little souls until they're just bundles of instinct lashing out to protect themselves.

Those are the worst ones. The ones who lose all ability to be reasoned with by anything other than the one person they remember trusting, if they remember anything at all. Sometimes all I can do is burn the house and salt the ground to lock them there and declare it consecrated ground so the living stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment