20200224

Day 1,997

I didn't have to turn around to know it was still following me, the snow hissed as it met the burning creature that dragged itself after me with the slow persistence of a seasoned predator. If it caught up to me I'd be victim number seven and the council would only use it as an excuse to triple the police's presence in the area.

They hadn't been able to stop it so far but they had managed to set fire to it and run away which was more than I was able to with twenty-something inches of snow covering the whole town and a constant trickle of snow still falling. It was only going to get worse but at least the creature was struggling too.

All I had to do was get to the station, lead it inside and lose it before making my way back out and head home before it realised I'd given it the slip. Unfortunately the bloody cowards had locked the doors, leaving me to try and circle round the car park and try somewhere else.

The scrapyard wasn't too much further and they rarely locked their doors, in fact with the weather this bad they'd be more likely to let me into one of the cabins. It'll either buy me enough time to climb out a window or another body to throw to the creature while I make a break for it.

They're somewhere further down the road, that much I remember but it's getting harder to think and harder still to keep walking while the snow keeps coming and the creature's still dragging itself behind me closer, closer and closer and the neon scrap sign should be visible any moment now.

Any moment now.

Any moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment