20200406

Day 2,038

It came from somewhere deep in the woods, or so we think. It had that mossy, lichen texture to its fur though that could just be foliage tangled up in all the blood-encrusted clumps that covered it from head to hoof. Assuming it has hooves... never been close enough to tell myself but it makes a sound like old-fashioned horseshoes when it patrols outside.

I've only seen it outside the greenhouse where it spends its time stalking me as I do my rounds checking in on the plants, making sure the windows are sealed and the vents wide open. I remember one time when I was removing the mangled remains of a squirrel from a vent on the eastern side (it had a fondness for making our jobs that little bit worse in any way could- the petty bastard) I heard a voice coming from the other side.

Now it was the only thing on the other side and it didn't really seem capable of human speech, much less softly spoken and fully coherent speech. A very persuasive speech that made me forget to check all the windows so when my next shift came I heard those hoof-ish steps heading for the door at the same pace as me.

I panicked and ran the rest of the way, bolted the door and jammed a nearby chair under the handle before heading to management as fast as I possibly could because the worst had happened- it was inside with us. Of course when they finally got security over there they found nothing but an empty greenhouse and all the windows wide open.

They say they checked everywhere. They say there wasn't any sign it had even come in but I can't stay in there for long without feeling its breath down the back of my neck and hearing it walking behind me  - now footsteps, not hoofbeats... when did it even get feet?

No comments:

Post a Comment