20200712

Day 2,134

He smiled at me with his outer face, lips gradually parting to reveal an infantesque head - the one that spoke whilst the outer one stared somewhere just over my left shoulder. It was hard to pay attention to his words when the sight of that newborn peering out from a jaw that shouldn't be able to unhinge quite so far was almost too much to bare.

I got the general gist of it - he called me his brother and used my dead twin's name, saying that I, that my twin, would soon grow to be as perfect as he is. The next great step for humanity is to turn our fragile meat-forms to armour for a much smaller, much more intelligent version of ourselves and eventually adapt the outer form to have thicker, more armour-like skin.

I wondered if this was why they weren't able to autopsy my brother when they eventually found him. I wondered if I might end up like him or if I was already on my way to becoming some inner thing watching myself become less and more all at once.

Later that night I took a flashlight and shone it at the back of my throat, not knowing what I would see and praying I wouldn't see anything at all. For a moment, barely a split-second, I thought I saw a pair of eyes peering around my tonsils before ducking further down my throat.

I'm afraid to open my mouth again - I don't know who or what will come out but it won't be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment