20201028

Day 2,243

 It keeps peering around the corner when it thinks I'm not looking. Sometimes I swear I hear it laugh, well, as close to laughter as a corpse can manage with several months of decay and a slit throat. This is why I remove the heads entirely - I'd rather face a body trying to find you by feeling the ground for the vibrations of your movements than outsmart one.

The last settlement I was in used to throw all the heads into a well and make bets as to which ones would figure out how to climb back up again. Of course the ones that got within arm's reach were scooped up in anet and tossed into a woodchipper that flung their biohazardous remains over the wall and usually onto their fumbling bodies.

I still don't know how they manage to find their heads so quickly. It's like they have some kind of homing instinct but for body parts instead of places. Maybe their bodies can still see through their eyes? I don't know but guessing passes the time and distracts me from the fact that I'm cornered in a ship I swear I checked a million times before sailing.

This is what happens when you feel safe - you make mistakes like leaving your gun in a bedroom and heading to an exitless hallway to take a smoke with one of the portholes open so you don't make the whole deck reek even though you are/were the only one around so it's not like it really mattered and now it's not bothering to duck back when I look at it.

We're just staring at each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment