20201106

Day 2,251

My parents never believed me about the children I kept hearing in the attic or the crying in the basement. They refused to let me go near either, said they were both full of insulation or junk and were dangerous. I was told there was nothing down there and any sounds I heard were purely my imagination.

I learnt to ignore them, even when they were crying my name and telling me my parents were evil.

I've never been able to sleep well under their roof and as soon as I was old enough I moved out and refused to sleep another night there ever again. I tried not to think about the crying children I always heard and how bruised my parent's knuckles were most days.

When they died, I wasn't told for several months. It was a stipulation in their will. They left me the house and all its contents on the condition that I demolish it to make way for a place of my own. Of course the first thing I did was head into the basement before even remotely considering destroying the answers I wanted and dreaded.

The floor was barely visible for all the neatly piled boxes full of tiny bones and in the furthest corner were several saws and a vat of something that stank to high heavens. Each box was labelled with a name,age and date of death - the police were grateful that so much of their work was done for them.

I never had the heart to tell them about the attic as well, figured I was infamous enough being known as the son of two serial child killers - nobody needed to know about all the other bodies. I figured I'd dispose of them somehow, change my name and move on with my life.

The police already formed their opinions of me in the basement and had no leniency when they caught me down in the old quarry with a trunk full of bones and sacks full of hair. They just said that the apple didn't fall far from the tree and let the evidence speak for me.

Now I'll be spending the rest of my days inside a small concrete room, just like all those children.

I still hear them at night, crying and telling me my parents are evil.

Sometimes they tell me that I'm evil too.

No comments:

Post a Comment