20201205

Day 2,280

I was lucky enough to be heading out of town when the wind blew in all those strange seeds that burrowed beneath our skin and rooted us firmly in place. From enough of a distance we can be mistaken for trees - weird branchless, grey trees but trees nonetheless. It's only when you start to focus that you start to see our faces obscured by bark and moss.

From what I hear a lot of people ended up grouping together, holding hands and weeping as the change set in. I know I tried to head back into town to find my family, I felt compelled to be near other people just like everyone else but I was too slow. Now I'm stuck right in the middle of the road.

Fortunately for me, the town's been isolated and we're being studied so it's not like I'm ever actually alone but I'm physically not near any of the others. We used to yell to each other, mostly plant puns and news about who's saying what but it's been getting harder to talk as of late.

The bark is hardening all over and where we used to be able to bend in place a bit, lean from side to side and even shuffle our roots slightly, we're slowly becoming further entrapped. I've been told that the first ones to be infested have completely frozen and died in place.

So I've got that to look forward to.

It might not even be a bad thing.

I'll finally get a change in scenery!

No comments:

Post a Comment