20210317

Day 2,382

The subway platform was too crowded to get a proper look at the worm-like creature that had writhed its way along the tracks and stopped in place of the train. All I could see from my position at the slightly emptier far end was a little of its face and the ridged top that rose and collapsed with each heaving breath. Poor thing must have been trying to run from all the other trains.

I didn't think of it as a poor, lost little thing for long though.

A deep hiss filled the room and silenced everyone on the platform til all we could hear was the hissing, the jagged breathing of the creature and our own fearful gasps as we quietly began to retreat. It noticed. It noticed and it began to turn towards us, giving me a clearer look at its piercingly sharp front-facing eyes and leech-like mouth full of serrated fangs.

Several tongues lashed out before we had time to react, spearing dozens at once and leaving their bodies wherever they fell. A few people died near me and, remembering old shooting drills in school, I hid under their bleeding bodies. Most people tried to run, clogging the stairs, trampling over each other and slipping in all the spilled blood while the creature continued to heave itself over the ledge and follow them up the stairs.

I must have waited there for a good half hour after it left, trying to breathe as quietly as possible in case it came back and praying a train would come. Nearly two hours later my prayers were answered and an especially battered looking train pulled up. I sprinted for the doors,slamming the open button and desperately checking behind me in case the creature was close enough to hear.

The other passengers looked at me like I was the monster and I suppose I must have looked the part all blood-drenched and frantic. The ride to the surface was utterly silent apart from the sound of someone sobbing. After a few minutes I realised it was me.

There's been no news about the creature from the tunnels, the massacre it left behind or where it went.

I've never taken the subway since - I don't think 'd survive a second meeting.

But for all I know it's somewhere on the streets right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment