20210403

Day 2,400

I know exactly when she turned by the way her screams slowly changed from pleas for me to free her to guttural, hollow roaring the likes of which a human shouldn't be able to make. Of course by that point she was human in the past tense, now another creature ready to join the hoards that blocked all roads in and out of the city. The ones who attacked her when she broke out last night and got herself bitten.

No, I shouldn't blame her for wanting a bit of freedom, for wanting to see the hoards with her own two eyes and not rely on the radio feeding us nothing but half-garbled disasters and cries for help that we have no way of answering without risking our own lives. Now that all seems so meaningless.

Keeping her here is a death sentence to the entire apartment block which could lead to the end of our city as we know it. Still, I don't have it in me to kill her while she looks so much like herself. I'll wait until she rots enough that she doesn't look like my Lisa anymore and then I'll do it.

I promise us both - I will fix this.

No comments:

Post a Comment