20210506

Day 2,432

Boiling was the best way to describe the texture of its skin - boiling flesh. I watched the dim sunset sluggishly reflect off the rippling body as neck-less faces swam about the surface before submerging back into the beige mass. I'd been noticed by several of them but it hadn't made any further move towards me.

The turbulent mass at the front split into two mouths on stump stalks that bent in near opposite directions to feast on something I couldn't quite see from my poor vantage point. While I didn't see what it ate, I knew at the time that it was meat and it was fresh. Blood rolled down the stalks to be quickly lapped up by faces that tried to swarm as close to the head area as possible.

It seemed like every head wanted to join in on the feast but if any stayed for too long one of the forelimbs would shoot up and smack it away so the others could equally partake. In a way it was as fascinating as it was grotesque and all-in-all an absolute marvel of nature.

Now that I'm safely far away from it I can admit that it would be less unsettling and worrisome if it was a vegetarian. Though the marks it left along the torso and face of the stag it had caught were astoundingly unique and I daresay nothing else would ever be able to replicate such gauges at those angles.

For now it's thought to be the only one of its kind in the area, whether through a loss of its original territory, seeking out a mate or even just migrating. All we can say for sure is that at present we know that one exists with the potential for at least one more, judging by the carcasses that are being brought in for us to assess later this week.

They won't say how many bodies are incoming but they sounded terrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment