20210603

Day 2,460

She only seems to exist in the split-second after you blink, always hanging from the warehouse ceiling and always smiling down on us. The older lads called her Mary and claimed that seeing her was a sign of good luck, of easy hauls and plenty of staff so nobody would go home unpaid or in pain.

I used to think so too, before I knew better. Before I saw her drop from the ceiling and crush one of the new guys - he'd always been vocally against any mention of her and kept trying to persuade management to call in a priest or whoever to get rid of her. I reckon she took personal offence to that.

It was the first time I got to see her clearly instead of those fragmented snippets between blinks. She was far less human than I thought. Her body seemed to be made entirely of the cabling we used to supply power to the tool sheds, her hair was a tangled mess covered in congealed fluids that kept it sticking bolt upright like she was still hanging up there.

The worst of it was her face - the kindly smile everyone else claimed to see was nowhere to be found among the widely unhinged jaw and rows upon rows of jagged teeth that shut over the new guy's head with a disgustingly wet snap. She scooped up his body and dragged him back up to the ceiling again.

If I told the others what I saw they'd never believe me, I'd just end up making myself a target for her next meal She's back up there as usual now, faintly smiling down upon us all but her eyes keep lingering on me and she follows me around, not that the others have noticed.

That or they know better than to make eye contact with a dead man.

No comments:

Post a Comment