20210607

Day 2,464

I stood by the car door listening to the sounds of several people walking towards me and seeing nothing but an empty parking lot. The snow covered ground was only disturbed by my footprints and a few old tire tracks that were already filling in as the weather stubbornly refused to improve.

As far as I could tell, I was surrounded and they were all whispering vague descriptions of me to each other though I still couldn't see anyone or anything aside from the few cars still parked. They each took one single step forward that should have put them within arm's reach of me.

I felt gentle puffs of warm air as one of the invisible things leaned towards me, getting close enough to my face that all I could feel was them breathing against my skin. Two words were quietly whispered against my cheek "not tonight" and the warmth retreated.

They all retreated, footsteps getting farther and farther away until I felt like I was alone again, until I felt like I could move enough to head into my apartment. I still felt unseen eyes watching me but the only footsteps I heard were my own so I wrongly assumed that I was alone.

I maintained that assumption til I tried to close my front door and a frostbitten hand reached around to stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment