20210608

Day 2,466

I was sitting on the picnic bench by the lakeside when I saw it staring at me from a few miles out, occasionally ducking under the larger waves but still gently floating towards me. Honestly I thought it was a prank at first, one of those 'make a fake monster and film people's fear' kind of deals but the closer it got the more real it looked until it started having to lift itself up on the lake-bed and walk towards me instead.

Imagine a whale and make it roughly the size of a cow, give it front facing green eyes and skin that writhed like maggots in jello - don't forget a mouth that stretches halfway down its neckless body and fins that end in thick birdlike claws. Imagine it staring at you so intently you forget to breathe - you forget to blink until it exhales and the sheer stench of it forces you into movement again.

I've never moved so carefully in my life, not sure if the creature was capable of moving as quickly on land as it did through the water and not wanting to find out. I was on my bike before it had fully emerged and ready to tear away the second it looked like it might want to charge at me but the moment never came.

It just lay there, half in the water and half propped on those monstrous fins, eyes locked with mine all the while. It could have been minutes or hours but it began to retreat, I thought that it got bored and felt relief pulling me down into the handlebars when I felt the gentle, rhythmic warmth of something very large breathing down my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment