20210618

Day 2,475

You'd think that working in a small town cinema would be fun, easy and nothing to write home about. You'd think it's only selling tickets and food and a bit of cleaning, maybe watch a cheeky film on your break. You'd think it was a safe place and it should have been. It really should have been.

And I suppose it was until I caught the tail end of something that was never meant for human eyes. It was the last show of the night and I was on clean-up duty. Instead of a normal audience, I stumbled across a crowd of vaguely human-shaped beings all staring at static - no, staring at a figure inside the static.

A figure who looked right at me and told me to get out. Soon as they said that, everyone's head's whipped around, trying to see me in the dark. I hit one of the doors and crept back to hide inside the cleaning cupboard, holding my breath as the audience gradually shifted back to normal human shapes before they went to look for me.

I can't let them know that I saw them staring at the shape inside the static screen - they'd never let me leave here alive. I'd end up the same visceral mess in some nameless scrapyard as Irma did, or rather, as they did to Irma when they heard her talking about it on the phone.

A few of us overheard her telling the mystery recipient about the shape within the static but we thought it was one of those indie artsy films the manager liked to play on the smaller screens. I never thought it was real and I sure as hell never thought I'd get mixed up in something like this.

I'm back at work tomorrow night and I know that more than my coworkers will be expecting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment