20210804

Day 2,520

My old boss always told me to leave the overhead light on in the loading bay. He never said why, only that if we let the light go out while we were closing then we'd better have our worldly affairs in order. He was a strange soul like that, always with the old saying and never explaining a damned thing unless he absolutely had to.

Of course we ended up finding out the hard way as you tend to in this line of work. So it went that one night we were due one of those 'storm of the century' weather fronts and had been due the damned thing for almost a week so we figured it was business as usual.

The wind was tearing at our hair and clothes, clouds were screaming across the sky and a bolt of lightening just so happened to strike down the powerlines, leaving us in the screaming dark. Our first thoughts were to call our families and check if they were alright, completely ignoring the loading bay door slowly opening from the outside.

By the time I noticed I was the last one left and a clawed hand the size of a small truck was dragging a pair of legs outside into the storm. I don't know why it didn't kill me too - maybe the four other guys were enough, maybe it couldn't kill you if you noticed it, maybe it just didn't feel like killing me as well.

Either way I quit in the morning, found a desk job on the other side of town and never looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment