20210910

Day 2,557

It's been almost a year since the city drowned and took us all down with it. Almost a year of wondering how we're still breathing, wondering who is sending the food parcels that fall down from the surface and wondering why the city won't let us swim away.

I've not noticed any physical changes on myself but I know that hundreds of others down here have begun to adapt to the point that we all know, without saying, that they'll never survive on land again. I've seen folks with gills all down their necks and torsos, folks with clawed and webbed hands and feet and folks who are so densely scaled that if I hadn't seen it develop over the year I wouldn't know them as human at all.

Sometimes I'll sit in my room and feel my sides, wondering if the bumps are just my ribs or if I'm growing gills as well. It's getting to the point where everyone's changing at least a little and I'm over here looking as human as I ever was, not that I know if I still am.

I don't think I am, don't think any of us are any more, not that it really matters. As long we we're getting food and as long as we're not actively at each other's throats, like we used to be as humans, I'd say we're just fine - maybe even better than we were before the city drowned.

No comments:

Post a Comment