20210917

Day 2,564

The fog was so dense I couldn't see what was climbing out of the ocean and onto the prow but I could sure as hell tell that it was damned heavy by the way the ship was dipping under its weight. I could also tell that it had claws by the sound of metal being jaggedly sliced that filled the air, reverberating around the fog til we all felt like we were in a tin can full of screams.

I don't know how we managed to stay so quiet and so still for so long - was it fear, exhaustion or curiosity? Regardless, we were quiet enough that whatever was climbing aboard lost interest and began to let the boat go, but not before making sure we all saw its face.

It looked like a skinned whale, that's all I could think about when it brought its head close enough that the fog couldn't obscure it. All that raw sinewy-looking flesh mixed with the stained baleen plates instead of teeth was quite frankly the ugliest and the most terrifying thing I'd ever seen.

And it let us go.

No comments:

Post a Comment