20211015

Day 2,592

I told everyone that I didn't remember what happened the day my brother disappeared. I told them it was too dark to see what happened. I told them lie after lie after lie in the hope that they would stop asking but even now, some thirty years later someone who's read about him in some obscure forum for mysterious cases comes by asks asks me questions.

Truth is I was there, I saw it all and not one moment of it can be explained so I never tried to explain it, I just tried to forget. There are some things in life that you'll never truly forget though - like your first kiss, your favourite food or the way the rain fell in a thick sheet like a waterfall right in front of us.

Dozens of grey, bloated little hands reached out from the edge or the rainfall, their faces too distorted by the rain for me to see if they were actually human. I don't think they were,I think they were like a mushroom - lots of little shoots on the surface but just beneath it's all one gigantic lifeform.

My brother thought he recognised a face behind the rainfall,thought he heard them calling out for help when all I heard was a susurration, a ceaseless murmuring that set my hair on edge. Before I could stop him, he reached out just enough that they could all grab him, curling in on him like a hedgehog in reverse - hands becoming spikes that punctured everywhere they could before pulling him behind the rainfall.

All that was left of him was a boot, a few drops of blood and a mystery that still haunts me to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment