20211110

Day 2,618

The warehouse doors slowly creaked open and as the woman's weeping grew louder I realised that it was now behind me. There was no time to run, only scant seconds to rush inside and pray there'd be somewhere to hide instead of another bloodthirsty creature. I would have settled for a dark corner, old crates or even a pile of rags - I couldn't afford to be picky.

Though the door behind me was trying to quietly close, I still felt like luck was on my side for once. I finally had a barrier between me and the thing pretending to be a crying woman. I had a few minutes to catch my breath and think about my next course of action.

I was abruptly pulled from my thoughts as she began hammering against the warehouse door, realising that her prey was now cornered but not quite realising what I was in. She hadn't found out that the walls thrummed with a soft, melodic heartbeat and the light filtering through holes in the ceiling was the first warmth I'd felt in a long time.

It was another bloodthirsty creature, but one with patience. One that liked its food to be restful and calm when its floor began to slope towards large pits on either side of its centre that were about half full of dissolving bodies. I kept slapping myself to stay awake as I tried not to count the skulls and melted clothes along the way.

By the time I reached the far end, she'd broken the door down and sent the warehouse into an aggressive, defensive state. The pits began to move towards her as I continued to creep through the other door, which was swinging open in a half-forgotten kind of way. Like it knew its prey was escaping but the new prey was bigger and would fill it better.

I gently closed the door, flinching when the silence hit and the air began to smell like burnt meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment