20211116

Day 2,624

It swayed back and forth out among the wheat, quietly chanting "What am I doing here?" as it slowly finished squeezing the life from my brother's neck. I kept quiet, muffling my tears with my sleeve and praying it hadn't noticed me chasing after the limp little boy in its arms.

He only wanted to play tag. If I'd only run faster or called out for our parents when I saw it stand up or agreed to watch a movie instead then maybe he'd still be alive. Maybe I wouldn't have spent the night violently crying into my sleeves and shuffling around the fields following the creature that didn't let go of my brother til the next evening.

We weren't found til morning, me crammed under a hedge and my brother impaled on a telephone pole just above. There was nothing I could say that would have convinced anyone that it was a monster - they all assumed I was just a traumatised child making monsters out of the presumed men who killed him.

I think they arrested a couple of people eventually but it was all a blur for me and I'd almost managed to suppress the whole thing until I heard a familiar voice in the back yard. It drifted from left to right as the creature paced about, all the while it muttered the same thing.

"What am I doing here?"

No comments:

Post a Comment