20211126

Day 2,633

It told me it was an angel as it continued to eat what little was left of my granddad. I vaguely remembered a classmate saying how biblical angels were all kinds of fucked up so I assumed it was right and asked if this is how god takes you to heaven.

I don't think I'll ever be able to forget that smile.

The way its face went from mostly human to two perfectly split halves of a human head, the corners of its mouth gently touching the holes in the side of its head where people have ears. And the teeth, the absolute clusterfuck of teeth rammed in tighter than the gravestones in the city's old churchyard, all red and glistening in the flickering light.

After a few minutes of it smiling and me trying to remember how to breathe, it disappeared.

One second it was there, then the light flickered and it was gone leaving just me and grandad's shredded remains in his living room, waiting for the air to stop feeling like something worse was about to happen. Whether we were waiting for the angel to come back or waiting for grandad to come back or waiting for the angel to bring me to heaven as well - I can't rightly say. We were just waiting.

Before I could start to cry, the phone rang.

No comments:

Post a Comment