20211208

Day 2,646

I heard the bones whispering long before I could see them, warning me about the men who'd been tailing me for the last hour. If it weren't for them I'd likely be among the whispering ranks the men had scattered all around to confuse the police into thinking animals were behind the killings.

As if any animal other than a human could be so skilled with a knife.

The bones told me when to crouch, when to hide and when to sprint to make it onto a passing train. I spent the night freezing half to death on a bed of ore but at least I lived and somehow a fragment of bone had lodged itself into the sole of my shoe, its warnings following me all these years.

The men know I didn't travel far but they aren't actively seeking me out just yet.

I know the bones will warn me long before then, they've told me as much before and continue to remind me every day that this present will not last and that the only true safety is death. Sometimes I wonder if they followed me to warn me or to wear me down til I willingly join them.

Time will unfortunately tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment