20220307

2,735

It might have been the concussion or blood loss but I swear I wasn't alone the day of the crash. Technically there were other people around but most of them were dead by the time I woke up and the living, unhurt people were too busy calling for help to notice I was awake.

So I spent a good while drifting in and out of consciousness, looking around where I could and trying to remain awake. I started noticing it running between the damaged cars quite early on but I only caught a proper glimpse of it the third time it peered out from behind the closest overturned car.

At first I thought it might be shy, might even be a friend, and so I smiled at it as best I could with half of my face stuck to the chair with drying blood. It smiled back and I really wish it hadn't, not with so many teeth in its mouth and hands, clutched tightly and spilling like a broken pearl necklace.

As it started to crawl towards me, the faint sound of a fleet of ambulances curled through the air and startled us both. It fled, leaving blood and teeth in its wake and I assumed it had all been some brain damage-induced nightmare until this morning.

When I found dozens of fresh teeth lining the windowsill.

No comments:

Post a Comment