20220304

Day 2,732

I couldn't see their bodies at first, I just thought the road was blocked by a bunch of fallen scaffolding or something. It was so dark I didn't even notice them moving til I startled one when I stopped the car. A dozen or so poles jolted in place and lurched into the woods the other side of the road while the others moved closer to investigate.

I'll admit I might not have been as sober as you're average driver but I was sober enough to panic, not sober enough to do anything about it but I was terrified. I barely managed to roll the windows up and lock the doors before the first limb got close enough to tap across the glass and curl underneath the handles, testing their resistance.

I moved to open the sunroof as slowly as I could, not knowing if I'd even see anything in the pure darkness of the country road but wanting to try anyway. Drunken stupidity at its finest right there, shortly followed by more drunken stupidity when I got bored of peering up at a black sky and fumbled to turn myphones torch on instead.

They were definitely living things, that much I do remember. I also remember slamming the accelerator down and slaloming through their legs to empty roads. I don't remember checking to see if they were following but judging by the smallish indents all over my front yard - they've found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment