20220316

Day 2,744

The world around me changed with every flash of lightning as the storm brought about an end and a beginning all at once. Trees sprouted from seedlings and died before my eyes, houses were built and fell in minutes, people withered to dust all while I stood still and witnessed it all.

The sky between the storm clouds rippled in between the lightning, flickering from day to night as creatures I could barely comprehend circled overhead, occasionally swooping down to drag a rapidly aging animal away, leaving nothing but scattered viscera that soon turned to ash where it once had stood.

My uncle was always the paranoid sort and for the first time in my life I was truly grateful for it as our family stood within the confines of an iron circle he'd spent the last three years carving strange glyphs into. It kept us safe as the rest of the world was brutalised by the storm.

In the back of my mind I thought he was cruel for finding a way for us to witness and survive this madness.

It would have been kinder to let us all perish with the rest of creation.

It would have been swifter than living in what little remained.

No comments:

Post a Comment