20170830

Day 1,089

I can hear a ship's bell tolling close by and wonder what it's doing in a landlocked town.

I can smell the ocean and wonder if I'm still awake.

I can see light-reflected water ripples dancing across my bedroom ceiling and risk a glance outside.


A galleon is floating gently down the street, passing through the houses on either side of its hull. The crew flitting about its deck are like will-o-wisps, if will-o-wisps were human sized and had painfully distorted bodies that didn't quite move as a human should be able to.

It is coming closer and I know that I am one of many who are awake and witnessing this dead ship reenact something historical, albeit far from their original dying ground, perhaps they drifted with the wind as ships are made for?

I suppose that without the ocean it has no confines, no borders and nowhere to dock.

As it comes closer I step back, instinctively flinching from the bright light that floods my room as the hull passes through me and I finally see their cargo. Hundreds of eyes gaze at me, into me and straight through me all at once and I understand why they are landbound.

The ship itself is looking for lost souls to fill its crew roster, forever cycling through the old who eventually find peace and move on, to the new who know no better than to fill their place and move the galleon further inland.

I wonder if I'll join them some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment