20190618

Day 1,746

When the tide is low, you can monkey bar across the underside of the railway bridge and hop onto the deck of half-sunken wreck formerly known as Ol' Muttwater. Locals say it hit a flint deposit on the riverbed that tore through the hull... they don't say anything about all the deep red stains in the cabin which look an awful lot like handprints.

It's been almost ninety years since the Muttwater was scuppered and in spite of the harsh weather since and the regular floodings around the area, all the glass is still good as new. In fact, our Alfie says him and his friends saw someone replacing one of the windows just last month.

Seemed an odd thing to do at the time but after my last little trip there I'd gladly give them all my wages to make sure she stays put and stays sealed tight. There's few things in this town that worry me more than what I saw in swimming about in the flooded cabin.

At first I thought it was an enormous fish, then it twisted and I thought I was seeing a bloated corpse instead. Then it noticed me, pressed its god-awful head right up against the glass and it smiled. It had teeth so rotten it'd make any dentist weep but that wasn't even the worst of it.

Worst of it was when it deliberately look down and I followed its gaze to see a gaping hole in the hull.

Knowing that it wasn't trapped is so much worse than knowing it exists in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment