20190627

Day 1,756

In my dreams I slip into other people's heads, into their waking minds. I've never been to another person's dreams before and I don't think I can but the things I've been seeing recently make me hope and pray they're not real. They can't be.

On Monday night I was a woman who'd locked herself in a motel room and pushed all the furniture to block the windows and door. She didn't want any light getting in and didn't want to be able to get out easily. She could feel herself changing and spent the rest of the night weeping and staring at her wedding photos.

Tuesday night also took place in a motel but I was a man crawling into a ven in the maintenance closet. He didn't bother to close it behind him. He knew he would be coming back once the change was over and he was so excited for it. He could feel the hair on his body becoming the initial downy lining that would coat his cocoon.

By Wednesday I was hoping for another glimpse of a student's least favourite lecture or a fast food worker - even a damned funeral would have been better than watching a mother skin her infant with a potato peeler to reveal grey scales hiding beneath plump flesh. She was humming lullabies the whole time and the baby just smiled up at her.

Thursday will come soon. All the coffee I've taken is just making me jittery and sleep is dragging me down and down and deeper down. I know all of these people are connected somehow, I know they are all in the same area - a stretch of highway about fifty miles away from me. I know that their conditions are contagious and they know this too.

I wonder if someone has dreamt their way into my mind and is seeing me change too.

No comments:

Post a Comment