20190629

Day 1,758

They found Laura fifteen years after she went missing. She was emaciated and filthy but otherwise totally fine. The official story is that she was kidnapped and held in a basement some twenty miles away, deep in the woods, all those lovely and heart-wrenching cliches.

It would almost be miraculous but for the fact that I saw her parents murder her fifteen years ago.

I heard this wet smacking sound late at night, the kind of noise you get from hitting fresh concrete with a spade only when I looked out back I saw something much worse. Laura was curled up on the ground and her parents were taking it in turns to hack at her with a garden hoe, slowly tearing her apart.

There was tarpaulin on the ground beneath her so it looked premeditated. All I knew at the time was that I needed to keep quiet, I didn't want to join her. It was selfish and stupid and I should have spoken up but it was the word of one kid against two distraught parents. Even if I'd told them where she was buried I doubt anybody would have believed me.

Honestly I'm surprised her parents are keeping it together so well, acting overjoyed and so grateful that she was finally home even though she'd never left their back garden. I wonder how long she'll last this time. I can't imagine they're too pleased with her return.

Truth be told, I don't think she's even human any more.

Couldn't have happened to nicer people though.

I just hope she'll go back to rest afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment