20150115

Day 256

When I was a kid I always worried about our glass back door.
At night all you could see was a door shaped void.

I remember going down one night to get a drink, I must have been about five.
Everything was dark downstairs except for the small sliver of light coming from
under the living room door where my parents were watching TV.
Sneaking past them I made it to the kitchen and turned on the extractor light on.

It was still pretty dark but I could see enough to get my drink.
I was just grabbing a glass when I saw something black and spindly creeping along the window,
like dozens of spider legs.
Quickly, I skittered over to the hallway cupboard and grabbed the big torch.
As I shone it outside I saw that all of the tiny black strands were hair.

I moved the torch further right and saw a woman's face.
Her head was enormous, bigger than my entire torso and she looked so angry.
She began mouthing words at me, I had no idea what she was saying but I ran.
I went to bed and cowered under the sheets for the rest of the night.

I must have dozed off some time that night, the next thing I remember it was morning.
My mum was angry that I'd left the light on.
As she was talking I realised what the huge woman had been mouthing.

Go sleep outside.

That night, curiosity kept me awake and I decided to go downstairs again and try to talk to Her.
I figured that if I sat on the kitchen counter I could crack open the window and remain out of reach.

So I did.

The huge woman was already waiting.
She stopped looking angry as I climbed onto the counter and reached for the window.
Her hair began to climb in as I heard her speak wit my mum's voice.

You should be asleep.
Get out.
GET OUT
G E T  O U T

Again I fled to my room and hid under the blankets.
Then I remembered that I hadn't closed the kitchen window.
I had to.
What if the huge woman came fully inside?

I took a deep breath and ran downstairs as quietly as possible.
She was still at the window, her hair crawling about the counter.
She hadn't seen me yet but she was looking, squinting through the glass for me.

I had an idea.

I rushed in, grabbed the kitchen scissors and cut her hair off.
She shrieked and as she fell back I closed and locked the window.

The next morning I heard my mum scream for dad to call the police.
They wouldn't let me downstairs or anywhere near the back of the house for months.

I didn't find out what had happened until I remembered this and searched up the date and
my address, the results shocked me.

A woman had been found dead in our garden, she'd somehow snuck over the fence.
What had shocked the news was her size, almost 8 feet.

Made me question, how much of those two nights had been real?

No comments:

Post a Comment