20150116

Day 257

It was one of the greatest storms of our time.
Lightning struck the ground nearly every second.
Somehow (though it's scientifically impossible) it brought the dead back.
Some rejoiced, others attacked.

Now we've reached a standstill and the dead roam the streets freely.
We can't really kill them and their state of constant decay means we refuse to live with them.
Eventually whatever's been keeping them alive wears off and we gather up their parts to bury.
Strange to think these were once our loved ones.
We don't think of them like that anymore, they barely look human.

I've never said it aloud but my late husband was one of the rising.
He was murdered... by me.
So far nobody's found out - they never suspected the abuse I faced behind closed doors.
He left me no choice.

When I saw him among the crown of the rising that remained by their graves I knew I had to act.
They don't speak often but they still can.
I couldn't have him tell anyone what had happened, even if it was years ago it's still murder.
He had to go, plain and simple... but how do you kill the dead?

My plan was thus  - lure him away from the rest or lure them all apart and strike him down.
I figured that if I cut out his tongue and lower jaw he'd never be able to talk.

I had this all worked out, after weeks of planning and waiting I arrived at night and he saw me.
He turned around and bent down to pick something up off his grave and hid it behind his back.
Not taking any chances I played out my distraction - fireworks.
It worked, every risen shuffled out and onto the street to get a better look at the lights.

I took my chance, signalled for him to follow me and he did, hands still behind him.
As soon as we were far enough away I took my serrated kitchen knife and grabbed his lower jaw.
It took some effort but he wasn't trying to stop me.
He just stood there with his hands behind his back.
So calmly.

When I'd finished cutting away his jaw and tongue I placed them in a bag to burn later.
As I turned to leave he tapped me on my shoulder.
His drew his hands towards me, a bouquet of my favourite flowers in them and a note attached.

It read:

I understand, how could I have treated you like that?
Please forgive me, love.

Now he lives in my back garden, he's a changed man for sure.

For the better.

Til death us do part.

No comments:

Post a Comment