20150324

Day 324

I can't make eye contact with anyone and not for lack of trying.
This started when I was a child, going to get a drink in a house of mirrors.
It was back in my aunt's flat, she was a collector of all things vintage, everything was antique.
Her favourite thing to collect was mirrors, she just loved seeing the rainbows they made.

I never used to pay much attention to these things, not until I stayed the night for the first time.
She gave me this big speech about being extra careful when moving around at night.
Being an eight year old I didn't realise just how scared she was as she told me this.
Her eyes were wide, her voice trembled and with a slight flourish she handed me an old torch.

Said that if I needed anything at night I had to say aloud what I needed and go get it with this light.
It had to be pointed directly in front of my feet the whole time.
Sure it seemed weird but that was just how my aunt worked, always a bit quirky.
I didn't think anything of it until I woke up late that night, desperate for a cold drink.

Remembering my aunt's words I said to myself I need a glass of water and pointed the torch down.
Slowly I made my way to the kitchen, occasionally startling myself as the flat creaked.
I recall how much bigger the flat seemed at night, how the faint reflections from the mirrors seemed
more... real somehow, like they were all staring at me.

They were all staring at me, every reflection was looking at me, no mater how I turned.
I don't know if it was the lighting or my imagination but they seemed so much paler than me.
As I stared back at them, slowly turning in a circle to see them all, they began to sway in unison.
Forgetting my thirst I scampered back to the guest room and moved all of the mirrors to the hallway.

My aunt questioned this in the morning and with tears in my eyes I told her.
I'll never forget what she told me then.
They won't leave you alone now, they'll be in the corner of your eyes, reflected in everyone's eyes.
Why do you think I never leave here, why this place is full of junk? It distracts them.

Keep them happy and focussed elsewhere and you'll be safe. It's all you can do now.
And she was right, when my parents came to pick me up I saw those pale faces in their eyes.
Over the years the faces have changed, they aren't me any more.
I have no idea what they are now, I don't think they're me but then again I never look at mirrors.

Every time I try to look in mirrors or eyes I can see them step closer.
I've filled my room with distractions for them, strange objects and puzzles.
Most nights I wake up and the puzzles are solved, the objects are moved.
Last I saw, their faces were pressed against the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment