20150321

Dy 321

The vicar hadn't come out of the church for weeks.
He just up and bolted the doors, hasn't been seen since.
All we know is that he's digging by the altar.
Mrs Hinx saw him through one of the windows.

The noises coming from there have been getting quite loud of of recent.
Whatever he's been digging for, I reckon he's found it or it's found him.
People have started trying to get into the church, we're all worried for the old Vic.
Shame the doors are solid oak, good old sturdy stuff with no chance of breaking.

They've made some proper dents but I don't see how they'll break through in all honesty.
Mr Conté was the one to finally get through to the Vic - rammed the church doors with his car!
Would you believe it, the doors just splintered and people went spilling in to see what had happened.
Our first look into the church since the old Vic had locked himself in there four months ago.

We never did find the vicar, we did find what he'd been working on though.
Right in front of the altar were steps leading steeply down, he'd even put lanterns at intervals.
Me and a few others went down to find our vicar, first aid kits in hand and no idea what lay below.
It got cold fast, that's the first thing we noticed... it was the kind of cold that soaked your bones.

If he'd managed to make these steps in just four months, he was a man of hidden talents I say.
They lead quite a ways under the church, Mr Hinx reckoned we should have hit pipelines by then.
Eventually the steps ended up leading to a large chamber that I can only describe as a torture pit.
No, I don't think our old vicar could have done anything in there, I think he found it though.

There were so many bodies, all skeletons and all disfigured.
I'd never seen so many vile contraptions, not in any film or museum.
Those poor souls, some of the bones were tiny - children and younger!
If our Vic did that then he'd been doing it for dozens of years.

After searching as much of the chamber as possible we determined that the vicar wasn't there.
Strange though, I swear five of us were in there - me, Willis, Hinx, Khan and Berry.
When we got out there was only four of us, Berry was waiting up with the others.
Claims he never went in but the rest of us all saw him in the chamber with us.

We talked to him, he took a few photos on his phone - heck he even put his hand on my shoulder.
According to everyone else though he never joined us, stood up there with the others.
I know someone who looked like Berry was there though, they looked real, they felt real.
Now I'm wondering if the four of us were the only living things down there.

Maybe we stumbled upon whatever it was the old Vic had been digging for.
I've tried discussing a return trip down there with the others but they won't hear it.
They says to just let that place lie but when I found an unboarded window last week I had a peek.
Berry was in there just like he'd been in the chamber, all worried looking.

I was about to ring his mobile when he came running up to the window screaming.
Before I knew it there were a dozen others from the village, bodies all ragged and torn and crying out.
I recognised them all, I grew up with half of them but I don't reckon they were real people.
They can't have been, I saw them again in the village, right as rain.

I go back there sometimes, they've stopped screaming at me you know.
They just watch me, eyes unblinking and bodies falling to pieces.
I've not told no one else about this, don't think they'd believe me if I did.
One of these days I'll go in there and talk to them, until then I'll leave it at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment