20150405

Day 336

There were a couple of old factory buildings round the back of my house.
My dad used to say they were water pumps but the pipes weren't connected to anything.
They were strange buildings, more like huts with shutters for doors.

This one was my favourite to hide out in, it was so peaceful in there.
I never felt the need to take any pictures of it, not sure why.
Just seemed like I should keep it a secret but now it should be shared.

It was my own little den, it may have been next to an industrial estate but nobody paid any notice
of me, never so much as blinked an eye at me walking in and out.
I had quite a nice little set-up there, it felt like home to me.

The last time I went there I must have been eleven or so.
Told my parents I'd be staying at a friend's place but went to spend the night in my den.
It wasn't the first time I'd done that, I'd sit on the upper floor and read until I dozed off.

Something about it last time seemed off and I could never put my finger to it.
I ended up coming home early, it just didn't feel right being there.
Something about the rust on the walls was eerie, it had never been eerie before.

I went back a few days ago and it was still there.
Different to how I remembered it, smaller and a lot creepier.
It stank like iron and old meat on the inside.

The little ladder I'd put there to lead to the second floor was gone, luckily it wasn't much of a stretch
to reach my alcove where I'd spent so many days and nights.
I wasn't alone, the pile of blankets I'd left there was steadily breathing.

I held my breath and began to lower myself down when a child-like voice said wait.
My body wouldn't move, I half-hung there frozen and staring at the moving pile of fabric.
Before my eyes a small figure began to crawl out on stick thin limbs.

Its head snapped towards me - it had my face.
My eleven year old face only grey and covered in dried blood.
It reached out with its bony hands, touched my face and I remembered.

I'd never been alone there, this thing had been my companion only it had never looked like me.
It had persuaded me to stay overnight, never wanted me to leave but I did.
I left when it killed my friend and painted the building with their blood.

Their body was never found, they never even found the bloody walls.
I abandoned the place after that, blanked it out of my mind.
Now I'm here again, with my dear friend.

Its like I never even left.

No comments:

Post a Comment