20150921

Day 504

It came and went and was forever changing, I should know - I'd been watching it for years.
The city or sometimes fairground or sometimes nothing was out in the lake's centre.
Nobody really went out that far, no fish meant no interest.

Still people went boating but never near enough to see what the city was, if it was anything.
Nobody even talked about it, just said there was nothing there.
So I set out with my little wooden raft to see it for myself.

The city I thought I saw drew closer with each stroke of my plastic oar.
My tiny boat could only go so fast but as the skyscrapers came closer I only found driftwood.
It had been nailed into rough city-esque shapes, made to resemble a human habitat.

My first mistake was trying to sail through the wider "streets".
The water was deceptively shallow and lined with metal spikes that pierced my boat.
Rather than sink with it I swam for the nearest "building" which was little more than a platform.

The same enormous nails that had ruined my boat had been used to build this.
I use build loosely as they'd been hammered in so roughly that the planks had split in places.
I caught glimpses of strange fish through the gaps but I hadn't seen any in the "streets".

Like human faces nailed to large fish bodies in some demented version of mermaids.
As one swam out to investigate my boat I saw I had been right.
Blood poured out from its' sides like fins as it writhed to where I had sunk.

I'm surprised they didn't come when I'd first gone down but maybe they were friendly.
Maybe they remembered being human and wanted to help me?
As more came out and began to tear my boat to shreds I decided to head to higher ground.

Just as a precaution in case they expected me to join them, I kept far away from the lake.
I've been up here for 3 days now and I have no way to get back to shore.
They follow me wherever I head to, always circling beneath the water.

Did you know they can still talk?
They ask me for my name, want me to come down to them but I won't.
Some of them are still holding those enormous nails and smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment