20171013

Day 1,132

They only prowled the streets during storms, floating through the grey-tinged downpour like drowned wraiths. From the dry safety indoors, they almost looked like silk scarves caught in the wind... and then the wind would change direction revealing their gaping maws, bulbous eyes and blood-stained, well, everything. For creatures that were mostly aquatic, they didn't seem to be able to wash off the remnants of their meals.

The council had the gall to claim that they were good for the town, reducing the homeless population, stray cats, abundance of pigeons and generally doing all that they could to justify the former sea-dwellers massacres. While they were technically correct in everything they said, they weren't the ones cleaning up all the bones.

I used to think my house was one of the safer ones, what with it being just inside the forest and thus somewhat sheltered from the rain. After finding a sizeable pile of bones where my fence used to be I'm starting to think otherwise, not that my friends have been of much assurance on this.

I originally thought that something, or several somethings, have taken a liking to my home until the first crude effigy turned up. I don't know whose skull they used but they certainly tried to remake me from the bodies of their nightly meals. Every storm they make a new effigy and no matter how many times I break them and put them in the trash they always come back.

Last night the effigy of me had company - the architect, I presume.

The storm passed five hours ago and it still hasn't left.

I mean, it's not floating any more but it won't stop staring at my front door.

I think when the rain comes back it'll move closer.

Certainly hope it doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment