20180112

Day 1,222

At first we thought that the firefighters didn't want us to watch them burning the monsters because it was dangerous for us to be so close to the damned. Now I realise that we aren't nearly as human as we believed we were... coincidentally the mass burnings have stopped and the firefighters hide from us.

I wonder if that's because they know we've realised that they might just be the only humans left and that they tricked us into cheering them on while they murdered our kin. Maybe they're becoming like us and they're now afraid of themselves. I would be too if I'd spent my youth killing people whose only crime was an unstoppable mutation that I'd probably develop too.

I mean, we all wear the same hazmat suits that the government (what's left of them at least) handed out en masse yet we've all gradually succumb to the great change of life, as my Nanna kindly out it. Sounds nicer than "yesterday all my teeth fell out and by morning they'd grown back all needle-like and iridescent among a plethora of, quite frankly, rather gross changes that I refuse to mention in polite company." which is pretty much the new normal.

We all go to bed with a those horrible crinkly plastic sheets over our mattresses and duvets in case anything else decides to fall off or out during the night and we keep a bucket beside the bed for whatever occurs in the morning. I thought I was tired as a human - this daily butcher's show is so much more hassle than any period every was.

Still, the air doesn't smell like burning meat any more, we no longer drift off to the dying wails of alleged monsters and we know that we are now comfortably in the majority.

Let the firefighters come back.

I dare them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment