20180525

Day 1,355

The depths of the ocean made your ocular implants glitch like one of the Malfers (that's Navy-speak for Malformed Automatonic Renegade Systems, much catchier) was close by. The geeks back in the lab centers claimed that the glitching was caused by deteriorated Malfer particles, probably tracing back to shore skirmishes. We were seeing their equivalent to a ghost I suppose, not that they ever spoke or were capable of doing much more than floating with the current.

It wouldn't be so bad normally but normally we wouldn't be heading out to fix our thermal power generators every single day. As one of the senior officers I was generally the one who went out to do the preliminary checks to determine what the actual problem was. That's how I was able to spot it first.

The thing about the oceanic depths is that they can sometimes make you hear or see things. I thought I was going half mad when I caught a glimpse of countless eyes staring at me from below but my diving suit's visual feed showed it too.

In fact it showed far more than my own eyes could ever hope to see. They were all connected, every single eye out there was attached to some kind of stalk that led down, deep deep down into the abyss. I never wanted to imagine what kind of creature they were a part of, never wanted to believe they were real and yet as I look outside right now I can see the eyes rising up from the pitch black waters.

I can see what they are a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment