20180917

Day 1,471

I was never one for theme parks and carnivals but when your parents die and leave you as the sole guardian of your kid sister, you don't really have a choice. It's either face the water ride at the funfair or face the waterworks at home and I know which one I'd go for every time.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want to spend time with my sister it's just that she never shuts up. Always filling in the gaps between conversations with whatever floats through her head until our every waking moments are just pure noise. Lord only knows how many calls I've gotten from her school saying she's mouthed off at this teacher or that student.

I think it's her way of coping after the funeral. My aunt and I arranged it all but on the day nobody showed up but me and my sister. The vicar said the bare minimum, probably feeling just as uncomfortable as we were, and then left us alone. We didn't even bother going to the pre-booked dinner - it all felt so wrong.

Like we'd died instead.

So now she fills the silence and I take us to theme parks and she fills the silence and I take us to theme parks and it was meant to make us feel happy for just one bloody day but since the last one she hasn't said a word and the silence is heavier than ever before...

No comments:

Post a Comment