20181006

Day 1,490

We never thought of ourselves as a cult, we always said we were just another village with a slightly eccentric mayor. I mean, we never voted for him or anything he just sort of appeared one day and nobody had seen the old mayor for so long we just assumed that he'd retired or something.

And then the miracles began - blind people seeing for the first time, limbs regrown overnight and we thought he was nothing short of a saviour until the lost pets started coming back in their droves. All the dogs that had gone out to a farm to live out their golden years, all the cats who'd run away or hamsters who vanished overnight all came walking back into town as if they'd never been gone or aged a day.

Now, I left when this happened as I didn't dare think who (or what) he might bring back next but my cousin made sure to keep me informed. Three days after I left she sent me a photo of her standing next to my great aunt who went missing when she was eighteen... who still looked exactly like she did when she was eighteen.

That was the last I heard from any of them. The next month everything went silent, all the radio stations, all the local shows, all the incoming and outgoing roads. It was like our village never even existed. I just wonder if our mayor brought back more than he could handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment