20181013

Day 1,497

Maybe if I'd listened to her when she told me about the ivy, she'd still be here. I just thought it was another one of her games like "there's a dragon hiding in the clouds" or "that tree's secretly a witch" but no, this one was real. Of all the ridiculous things she's said why did this one have to be real?

I know she got it into her head that all ivy was poison ivy but when she told me the ivy behind our house was full of tiny arms, I just brushed it off as another one of her stories. I may have occasionally noticed it moving in an odd way but I just thought it was birds or maybe field mice, something normal not... this.

If I hadn't tried to prune it back for the winter maybe she'd be fine. She just came running right into me yelling that I was making it angry and pointing and screaming and then I saw a cluster of little deformed hands, a little rat king of hands, retreat into the uncut greenery.

I was so busy staring at it that I didn't notice how quiet she'd gotten but I did feel her jolt and I caught a glimpse of that tangle of hands shoot back into the ivy, leaving her gasping with my pruning shears sticking out of her chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment