20181115

Day 1,530

When I took up a job as a council worker I expected to be another paper pusher in one of their unnamed offices but they chose to put me to field work instead. Quite literally in some cases, like last week when they had be and a few others patrolling the old Roman ruins by the Creechwoods. They gave us eight bottles of blessed water, three bronze arrows, told us to "keep our eyes sharp" and never said why.

It was just how they worked. We'd head into the main depot first thing in the morning, grab assignments and equipment and head out to do strange things with no reason behind them for mediocre pay. I mean, they told me to wipe vaseline on the eyes of all the statues in the town centre and demanded I get it all done before 3.36PM.

I think the final straw was when they told me to go to the local dump and join "The Watchers" (yes, the memo capitalised that). When I got there as the absolute arse-crack of dawn I was given a thick hazmat style suit, thicker gloves and a told to keep perfectly still.

We were shown where to stand around the edges of the largest shipping container I'd ever seen, about two-thirds full of trash, and left there all day. Now that sounds easy enough, right? Not the sort of thing to make you just quit, right?

If It had stayed like that then yes, I'd still be a council worker but whatever they're keeping in there is not a happy chap in the slightest and made that point very clearly. I only caught glimpses of it between the junk and small bones which was bad enough but when it started mimicking a baby whose cries turned to screams turned to gurgled coughs and then utter silence, I decided to leave right then and there.

I don't want to even think about where it learnt those sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment