20190130

Day 1,607

Most days I'll sleep in a motel - on the company's card of course which means I either pick the cheapest place around or I get bitched at by the accounting guys... again. Sometimes it just easier to pull into a layby and drop the seat back for four or five hours and if it keeps me on schedule, the company is more than happy to fudge my hours a bit and slip me a little extra to keep quiet.

Of course laybys are a little riskier than your average motel - especially with half the idiots they let drive about nowadays. Still, it beats a lecture from a guy who hasn't left his desk in twentysomething years... or at least it did.

I'll admit I've had a few run-ins with some pretty dodgy characters whose businesses range from drugs to parts (mechanical and organic) but nothing like the fella I met last night. I nearly drove right into him as I was pulling into the layby - daft bastard was just standing in the middle of it in the pitch black like it was nothing odd.

I thought he was wearing costume at first, I mean human skin isn't naturally greyish/green and nothing has eyes that large naturally. Then he unhinged his jaw and leapt at the windscreen, sticking to the glass and just staring at me, mouth gaping and eyes unblinking for the whole night.

He slunk off around dawn, hunkered down in the ditch by the road and I haven't stopped at a layby since.

No comments:

Post a Comment