20190207

Day 1,616

It's happened about eight or nine times now and every time I think it's about to end I somehow wind up back at the beginning and the worms are barely biting at my veins. On my left is the leftover pile of meat that was my mum. I'm glad she stopped breathing when the worms reached her spine. She isn't in pain any more.

To my right is my brother. He's crying but he isn't crying tears - he can't. They've already squirmed their way from his mouth to his eyes and they're just bursting out and he's screaming and he's choking and I know that in three minutes he'll stop too. He always stops after three minutes.

By then my turn is already underway and I can feel them moving through me, drinking up all my blood and multiplying with my every heartbeat. I fall but it doesn't hurt. Nothing hurts at this point and I know the beginning is coming back.

Dad breaks through the hotel door and cries out. He's too late again and he swears he'll try something else this time. He looks me in the eyes and promises that next time will work and we'll be playing on the beach again. There's something metal in his hands and he starts chanting.

And we've just finished dinner, the three of us heading back to our room.

Dad was supposed to join us but he got caught up at work.

We don't feel so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment