20190315

Day 1,651

As far as anybody knows, the garages behind apartment block 9B are all owned.

As far as anybody remembers, they've never been opened.

As far as anybody's heard, there's gold in one of them.

Of course the whole estate knows someone who knows someone who's a cousin of a garage owner but no-one is willing to share any names. They're as much of a myth as the contents of the garages themselves and potentially just as wealthy.

I've never told anyone but last week when I was heading back from a mate's stag do at something in the morning I saw light coming from the old car park and lo and behold all of the garages were slightly open. I was too drunk to recognise a trap when I saw one and too uncoordinated to get close enough for them to get me.

I ended up staggering slowly past them all, just out of the light's reach, bent over awkwardly to stare inside. I don't remember much of what I saw but I got the feeling that I was hardly the first to see it that night, judging by the iron tang to the air.

Inside most of the garages were bodies surrounded by cloven hooves. The first few had a literal stack of corpses which petered out the further along I went until I got to the final door and made eye contact with something I didn't think could possibly exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment