20190509

Day 1,706

There's others like me who can see the stubborn dead.

One thing we all agree on is that they're usually standing over their remains. It's come in handy before when I spotted a pair of twins who'd been missing for almost three years when I was out in the woods. Called the police with an anonymous tip, marked the spot with a bit of old rope and sure enough most of their bones were buried a few feet below.

They're still there though so I think the police must have missed something but they won't press it any further. They have enough to declare the poor kids as deceased and their parents have closure so I guess they'll just be left there forever. I'm not about to go digging them up and incriminating myself!

One thing the others disagree on is what the stubborn dead look like. I see them as people for the most part, occasionally they'll just be vague people shapes with shading over the face that hints at eyes. It's a kinder way to see them, one of the group sees vivid splashes of colour, twisting and jolting in place, and another sees them as if they'd died right then and there.

I know they're jealous of how 'trauma-free' my sight is but I don't have the heart to tell them how they mostly look like whatever's left of them. I see the roadsides clogged with rotting animals, streets packed with skeletons in decaying clothes and alleyways with bundles of gently breathing fabric that will turn towards me, revealing a face running with maggots and tears.

Still, no matter where any of us go, there'll always be more dead than living and they never blink.

No comments:

Post a Comment